Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sad news.

For the second time since I began this record of my personal journey with Myasthenia Gravis I have found myself completely unable to write a word. What we go through on a daily basis just seemed so insignificant that I felt completely inappropriate writing about me. A local family with whom we are very close suffered the tragedy of losing a child. Their little infant baby girl passed away almost a month ago. We have been working hard to help them through this terrible time and they have shown such strength and love for each other and for their children that we feel we are blessed to just know them and to be part of their lives.

Now I do know that you all would like to be updated on my situation, so I will try to be brief. I started having a really tough time again last week. Very short of breath, trouble talking, chewing, swallowing. The regular stuff. LOL. It just struck me how funny it is calling that regular stuff. The breathing thing was pretty intense, so I called right away to set up for IVIg treatments, since they worked so well last month. I had my first 60 grams on Friday and was set for another 60 on Monday. Saturday I was much improved, although I was feeling extremely tired, and kind of struggling because it was a guard weekend and J wasn't around to help out with the kiddos. Several people offered to help out, but we decided to just hang around the house, and the kids were good about it, so we did fine. Sunday didn't go nearly as well, and by the afternoon I was feeling really lousy. I called my dear friend Jasmine to come and help me, because I was really not feeling safe being alone with Thomas. (Katherine was at Jasmine's house already).

By Monday morning, I was feeling intensely terrible. Just walking from the hall to the bathroom was leaving me gasping. So into the ER we went. J stayed back with the kids, and my wonderful cousin Margo took me in and stayed with me and my folks came down from Wolfeboro as well. Turns out after lots of blood work, lots of oxygen and quite a few tests that my iron had dropped to a dangerously low level and I needed blood transfusions. After 2 of those, I felt much better. The next day I was given my regular 60 grams of IGg (IVIg) and sent home. I am doing so much better, but I am still really taking it easy. I am still pretty wiped out, to be honest. We aren't quite sure yet what caused the anemia, so there are more tests to come. Keep your fingers crossed that it is just an issue of medication and not anything more.

As always, thank you all for your continued support and prayers and please continue to think of us, and our friends during their time of loss.

No comments: