Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas


Santa was very good to us all. The kids had a wonderful Christmas Eve and Day. Katherine was particularly enthralled with her new roller skates and Thomas was out of his mind thrilled with his new GeoTrax train set. Today we are all just laying low- both kids have fevers, so we are just relaxing. Of course, relaxing is not one of the things that I am good at, so I have anxiety just sitting here! But Jason got me a wonderful book called "talking hands" about a village where people use sign language regardless of whether they are Deaf or hearing. Hopefully I will get to read a little of that. Or I could possibly finish writing my Christmas cards- now that it is December 26th. Oops. Forgive me, I have had a few things on my plate!

So what has been on my plate? Well, as some of you might have guessed since I didn't write before Christmas, I did end up having the Bone Marrow Biopsy on Friday. My blood work was kind of "iffy", so we decided to go ahead with the test. The thought of waiting and not knowing any longer was just out of the question. That is certainly one of the hardest thing about this- waiting and still feeling lousy. I always thought Katherine was the impatient one around here... turns out I am kind of that way too! I actually don't feel all that bad, just getting weaker and weaker, but we had a pretty normal Christmas, and I don't think anyone would have ever known all that is going on, except for the little limp I have at the moment from the BMB. I don't really know what the test is going to tell us. The big thing is that we will find out if all these immunosuppressants have done anything really nasty to my bone marrow and have changed my ability to produce cells.

Everyone I spoke to before the test pretty much told me that it wasn't that bad... that the Lidocaine was the worst part, and then there was just a lot of pressure. Being that I am superwoman, I figured I would be just fine. Let me tell you... I did not feel just pressure. lol. I can think of about 9 million other things that I would like to do on the Friday before Christmas other than having a BMB. If you are looking for a fun activity to do in your spare time, this is NOT it. But it is over, and hopefully we will get some answers, so it will all be worth it. If I ever have to have another one, I will be much more prepared- it is a feeling unlike anything I have ever experienced, and I just wasn't ready for it, I guess. Oh well, I guess I am not superwoman after all. I suppose even superwoman could feel pain, though. Do you think she got PMS too?

Currently I am scheduled for IVIg again on Friday, and I will also be seeing the hemo/oncologist to find out the results of the biopsy. We are at least doing a fairly good job of keeping on top of the MG. I am still feeling fairly strong. If it weren't such a pain, risk, inconvenience to keep doing the IVIg forever, I guess I would do that. But it isn't realistic to keep going in for this all the time, at least not long term. Plus all it takes is a cold or infection to throw me into crisis. As you can imagine, I would prefer to avoid that at all costs. My Christmas wish, and hope for the New Year, is to find the source of the anemia, fix it, and get going on the chemo. And my wish for all of you is that you enjoy your families and friends. Life is so precious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Claire,

Glad to hear your Christmas was a joy and you are keeping your head up. You, Jason, and the kids are in our thoughts and prayers.

LOL Ann