Saturday, April 19, 2008

Bald as Bald can be

Thank you to everyone who took the time yesterday to keep me in your thoughts... My WBC count jumped from 1 to 3 and we were able to go forward with the complete dose yesterday! Just to clarify, I still would have gotten the chemo, we just would have had to wait until the counts were up. In the same vein, my hematocrit (HCT) has been holding nice and strong ever since the surgery, so that is great news as well. Hematocrit, by the way, is the proportion of blood volume that is occupied by red blood cells. My low HCT was the reason I needed all those blood transfusions

I went to see Dr. Logan (the best Neurologist in NH!!!) first thing yesterday morning, and I am doing very well. I am tolerating the chemo fine, and the IVIg is more effective than it was before. I discussed the situation of my myasthenic symptoms having changed so drastically- going from symptoms gradually starting and getting worse over a period of several days to now when something happens and I have a dramatic onset of severe symptoms. Thankfully, the short working medicine, mestinon, also works much faster than before and resolves the symptoms. Dr. Logan and I are taking this change in the pathology of the disease as a positive. We are knocking something around in there. For sure!

So we will be continuing on with the chemo as planned. I will have 6 monthly doses at the full strength (so that made yesterday's my second) followed by full strength doses every 2-3 months until we decide the disease is manageable- or gone. Lets all keep praying for the GONE. lol

Given that my hair has been driving me mad... and everyone around me tired from hearing the endless discussions about it, we took the wonderful drastic measure of shaving it. I am thrilled- and seeing the hair shorter and shorter in the stages of shaving it made me so certain that I did the right thing. There were bald/thin spots all over my head, and it just would have kept getting worse. Losing your hair in the quest for health is nothing to me- and I got a few really cute hats online! Now I can obsess about whether my eyebrows will fall out, too. Just kidding, but keep your fingers crossed that they stay! LOL

The before shot!

Dude, I would have killed for this haircut in high school! Surfs up.

The new me. Does anyone have a lollypop for Ms. Kojak?

One of my new headcovers :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You look great Claire :) Hope your treatment is going well.

Chris Haberstroh