Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Power of Prayer

Katherine is FIVE!!!! Happy Birthday!

Pilots in training

Thomas took this picture. Not bad for a 2 year old!
Thank you all for you warm, wonderful thoughts on Friday and over the weekend. I have some AWESOME NEWS! It is starting to work. Really truly. I am over the moon. I was scheduled to go in this week for IVIg on both Wednesday and Friday, and after discussing it with the doctors, we decided to call off the Wednesday dose!!!! This is the first time in 5 years that we have ever called off a treatment. We have added and added and added treatments and drugs, but never EVER have we cancelled one because I was feeling GOOD! We are giddy with the joy of it.
I do still feel very tired (I am on chemo here lol), but I am not slurring my words, and I am able to catch my breath much faster now. In fact, I went to my most recent appointment and my whisper count has increased beyond my wildest dreams. A whisper count measures the strength of your lungs. You take a deep breath and let it all out. Then take another deep breath and whisper count as high as you can go. Last month was the exact same scenario- I had 2 IVIg treatments (Wednesday and Friday) and saw Dr. Logan on Monday morning at 7am. Last month I was able to count to 12 before I ran out of air. This month, I got to 72 and I could have kept going, but my speech got all slurry! Isn't that wonderful? FANTASTIC.
*for those of you who are trying that right now, please remember that I studied voice for 15 years, and was a competitive swimmer, so my lung capacity is pretty huge when I am well! *
The last few weeks have been very trying on all of us. Now that I am feeling so good, I don't want to re-hash any of it. I am sure one day it will all turn into funny, "how did we manage" stories. It helps that the kids are great communicators. Thomas was able to tell me last week that he was very ANGRY that he was sick and I left him (it wasn't like I was going to Macy's to buy a pair of Jimmy Choo designer shoes- I had to go to the hospital for treatments). And Katherine turned to me the other morning and told me that she was feeling, "very jealous of the way you are holding Tommy and not me at the moment"! They are amazing children and we are so proud.
Thankfully, things here at home are much better this week. At the moment no one is even running a fever, and I haven't had to wipe a nose in several days. Does life get any better than that?

1 comment:

Jess said...

Wow...how'd you know i'd try that? LMAO 78! flute player, scuba diver! Means I have pretty damn good breath control...so I'm all impressed with you right now! LOL That's terrific Claire! I'm SO excited for you right now!